Incident Analysis Workshop
Expect an application shortly!
About the Workshop
What is it?
5 day workshop on practical incident investigation and analysis in modern software organizations.
Software engineers with substantial experience coping with incidents and their aftermath in medium to large size enterprises.
September 9-13, 2019
Brooklyn, New York, USA
$6000 USD per seat
20% off for 2nd and 3rd seat from same company
Topics and Themes
Debriefing and interviewing methods and techniques
How to plan and carry out interviews with key actors
Identification of critical intra-incident elements
How to recognize important decisions, actions, and junctures during and immediately after an incident.
How to identify, collect, assess, and collate the data relevant to the incident.
- Approach to iterative incident reconstruction
- Identifying data sources
- Analyzing incident response chat and audio transcriptions
Theme extraction and narrative composition
How to identify and capture the issues that drove attention and action
How to analyze the backdrop & conditions that existed before the incident.
- What shaped the origin & handling of the event?
- Why do the reverberations play out the way they do?
- What does this imply for ongoing work?
Group debriefing and dialogue facilitation
How to prepare presentation materials to encourage exploration and generative discussion by others.
- What makes a good presentation?
- Guiding discussions that go astray.
- Naming elephants in the room.
Recognizing and managing organizational tensions
How to respond to strong reactions.
Incidents can evoke strong responses and even bad behavior that makes useful incident analysis difficult.
What to expect
- This is planned to be a demanding and intensive case-based experience aimed at building critical thinking skills in a collaborative setting. The interaction between peers is a key component of the workshop.
- The workshop will have at most 24 participants. This allows for both productive group work and individual attention.
- There will be some preparatory reading sent in advance.
- Each day begins at 9AM and ends at 5PM. Light breakfast will be served beginning at 8:30AM.
Who should attend
This workshop was developed for experienced software engineers who have had experience with responding to production incidents and have participated in post-incident review of some form or another, and look to build the foundational skills necessary to get the most value from incidents.
Duration: 5 DaysLanguage: EnglishParticipants: 24Cancellation: Up to 14 days before the start of the event free of charge